Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Introducing Archive Week

I've been on my YouTube channel about two years now, and I've had a longstanding policy of only posting material that is "fresh". Because of this, I have a huge pile of content that has been sitting around for a while.  All of this content is long out of date (sometimes quite a few months past being shot) because it got held for things that never happened or had some technical problems and never got back to.  Though the material is unpublished, almost all of it is as good as the stuff on the rest of my channel, and some of it is stuff that I strongly feel should be seen.

So, starting this week, I'm beginning a new feature on my channel called "Archive Week" The third week of every month I'm going to finish one of these long unfinished gems and finally get around to posting it to my channel.  I promise it'll be a treasure trove of interesting and informative content.

March: The Tahoe Summit



This week, we're starting with probably the most important event I ever personally filmed, the 2011 Tahoe Summit, where all of Lake Tahoe's political leaders met to sign the Total Maximum Daily Load agreement and discuss the state of Nevada's withdrawl from the TRPA under SB-271. This video features:
  • Governor Brian Sandoval (R-NV)
  • Governor Jerry Brown (D-CA)
  • Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA)
  • Senator Harry Reid (D-NV)
  • Senator Dean Heller (R-NV)
  • Marcia McNutt (USGS)
Plus reps from:
  • Tahoe Regional Planning Agency (TRPA)
  • League to Save Lake Tahoe
  • Tahoe Rim Trail Association
  • Tahoe Transportation District
  • US Forest Service
  • Tahoe Conservation District
and more.

April: Big Yellow Taxi



Next month I will release the long-awaited music video for "Big Yellow Taxi" featuring the Funky White Soul Man himself, Donnie Sanders -- As I promised in the day, it is the most rockin remake of Joni Mitchell's classic environmentalist anthem ever made (though it sounds VERY different now than the version in that tag.) It was originally scheduled for Earth Day 2011 but we wound up in a nationwide collaboration with many different people to get it done, so it'll be coming out Earth Day 2012 instead.

May: Gold Country Adventure


In September 2011 I went to Washington, CA and Nevada City, CA for a gold panning trip; panned for gold all day and didn't find  any.  Well, I've finally figured out what I was doing wrong and I can now make a very instructive video on gold panning. 

Future Months (in no particular order)

  • The &qout;Tahoe Expo" (orig from last June) featuring authors, environmentalists, and vendors (may be in several parts as the footage is 3 hours long)
  • Public service / environmentalist video about the Sugar Pine Foundation
  • Gold Country Adventure in Nevada City (gold panning)
  • PSA about the Tahoe recycling center
  • Tourist video about Red Lake resovoir
  • Very Early video about the history of the toll roads around tahoe
  • Video tour of public art and lightbox art in Lake Tahoe
To keep up with all my future activities, follow me on Google Plus!
Follow +Jack Durst on Google+